Review: Ushuaya Mechelen

You all know those mails from pr-agencies or company's, asking for a review of their product. Usually the reviews are mostly about the category in which you position yourself as a blogger. Recently, however, I got an interesting invitation in the mail box. I was invited to discover a restaurant called Ushuaya, during a dinner for two. I'm nowhere near a food blogger or critic, for that matter, but several aspects caught my attention.

Ushuaya is lounge-bar and restaurant located in the heart of Mechelen and opened it's doors in August. As the name may suggest, you can expect Asian cuisine, but that's not all! Ushuaya delivers fusion cuisine from around the world
I'm passing through Mechelen by train almost every day on my way to work, so I gladly made a detour, cause frankly, who can say 'no' to a free dinner? I can't! I love food and love discovering and making dishes from different parts of the world.
When we arrived, I was surprised by how large and well decorated the place is. Ushuaya is located in a beautiful house from early 1800, it even has a status of a protected monument. Inside you can find different areas: the grand eating area, a lounge bar and patio with the view onto the main cathedral. The decoration shows some hints of different cultures, but everything goes so well together, without being tacky. Restaurant has a half-open kitchen, which if always great thing for me, you can see with your own eyes if the kitchen is well-kept
.
Ushuaya also has a separate children's room with supervision where the kids can play, and a monitor to keep an eye on your kid, while you enjoy your romantic dinner.



The menu was pretty elaborate and I always have a hard time choosing. To get an overall idea of the dishes, we decided to get the chef's menu, as it had three main dishes. You get quite a lot of  food for only 32 euros (sans dessert). 

The menu consisted of:

- bread basket and olives
-wonton soup 
- shrimp in sweet and sour sauce as an appetizer
- tajine, ribs and chicken wraps and fried potatoes as the main dish

By the way, the dishes that you get in the menu are slightly different from time to time. So every time is a small surprise.
Another positive aspect about the menu, they had some nice dessert choices. I got sabayon and the bf got tiramisu. Both were delish!!

Off course you get to know a restaurant when you visit it several times, but it left a good impression on us, so I would definitely go to eat out there again! The menu had a lot to offer and the prices were more than okay! The place was quite when we arrived, but the patio was well packed when we left.



I was also quite surprised of how beautiful the center of Mechelen looks in the evening, it reminded me a bit of Bruges or Lier.
We definitely had a nice evening and left Usuaya stuffed and happy. 
I want to thank Dirk from Badass PR for the invitation!

If you want to discover what Ushuaya is all about yourself, here's where you have to be:

Steenweg 32, Mechelen


No comments