Change For The Better Part V: Eating habits


My main goal of the pledge is to get fit, not necessarily to lose weight. I'm not one for diets, never tried one and hopefully never will. I believe the key is eating healthy and not to overeat. Overeating has been one major issue of my life until just a few years back. It was always just me and my mom, but that never stopped her to cook as if an entire army was waiting for dinner. One meal could easily fit two or three normal food portions and once you get used to that, it's hard to go back. Luckily I never reached a point of no return and just started eat a lot less over the years. I still occasionally stuff myself till I can't breath, but make sure to enlist a 'light day' after.

I decided to sum up some food rules I live by:

Always eat breakfast
It said to be the most important meal of the day and I believe that statement. If I get up early to go to work I can eat just a little. Usually my breakfast is some whole wheat bread with something on top and tea or coffee. Also I only eat bread at breakfast.
In the weekends I like to eat musli with milk or yogurt and some fruit or berries.

Eat smaller portions
Okay, I don't eat a new born kitten portion of food, the key is to eat just enough to get you through the needed physical activity. May day to day life is pretty physically demanding, so I need to replenish my energy resources enough with a meal not to fall over at the end of the day.

Avoid meat as much as possible
I've never been a grand meat eater, just never really liked it. I prefer fish or a vegetarian option instead.
I think you just have to be aware of what you eat and where that meat is coming from. 
Plus I also have to compensate my love for leather jackets somehow.

Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit instead
I don't believe how a person can eat a slight variation of same food whole his life. Believe me, a lot of Belgian people eat a piece of meat with potatoes and if you are lucky a vegetable of season most of their lives. I eat at least three different sorts of fruits and vegetables every day. I need my fibers and vitamins!

I usually skip dinner
A Russian proverb says: 'Eat breakfast yourself, share lunch with a friend and give dinner to your enemy'.
Pretty much sums up my daily eating habits. I tend to eat around lunch time at work, as I get home late from work. I try avoiding eating a lot after 6pm, my dinner is usually a few pieces of fruit. 

Avoid sodas
We never have sodas at home, too much sugar and chemicals. At home I only drink water or a glass of juice during lunch. I can enjoy a glass of coke in the weekend, but much more I prefer the Belgian non-chemical Tao drinks instead.

Avoid fried food
Though I love it, I rarely eat anything fried, because it's the devil! I also never eat chips.

Most important rule of all: I'm not on a diet and can eat whatever I want
Because I want to live a little and sometimes I break some of the above rules. I love pizza, cake and chocolate and I wont feel guilty after, because getting fit for me is testing my power of will and physical boundaries. I'm confident enough with my body as it is, but I like a challenge.

So are there any specific food rules you like to follow?


Picture on an intergalactic cat on a sandwich to end this, cause cats make everything better, right?!

No comments